Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Testing Testing S-T-E-L-L-A

So, at this moment, my DD is sitting in her room for what I have dubbed "Quiet Time." This is a test that Matt and I have decided to try due to the fact that since she was little Stella NEVER, NEVER, NEVER napped for us. If we were lucky, we could eek out like 45 minutes maybe 3 times a week when she was real little, but after about 1, it went to nada. Currently our biggest issue with raising her is that wonderful thing known as the inability to listen until about attempt #5 when your blood is boiling and now you're actually yelling at them. So, today was the day I was to start the process of blissful quiet time. I informed her of it yesterday and again reiterated it today before we left for dance class. We came home and watched some TV, had lunch and the usual. I had already decided that for Valentines Day I was going to get her one of the Hannah Montana CD's. After about 15 minutes of explaining to her that it was music for her room and not something to put on the tv she was like OK, but can I get a doll house??? Oh, wait, I missed a step, she also proved to me today that she can spell her name. I asked her periodically throughout the day and each time she stated S-T-E ell ellayyy. Yeah, so I then told her that I was taking her to Target to get her a prize for learning to spell her name, knowing full well that it was really for Valentines Day. When she promptly asked could she get a doll house. So, here we are, back from Target, Hannah CD in the player and other than the din of melodic tunes, I have a quiet, albeit messy house. I don't care, I'm gonna enjoy this time.

1 comments:

Jenn said...

Yay S-T-E-L-L-A! Big girl! Pretty soon we won't be able to spell out our grown up conversations anymore.

Kudos to you, Mom, for instituting Quiet Time. Sometimes it's more for OUR sake than theirs! I hope it works for you both and you enjoy the break. I DEPEND on that break to make it through the day ;)

Nick is probably only napping 50% of the time these days, but he still spends quiet time in his room from at least 1-3pm each day. I don't mind if he plays quietly, reads, or watches TV - as long as it's restful and QUIET. On the days he does fall asleep, I nap too. Bliss!