Sunday, February 17, 2008

We've Been Busy.

This was my weekend to be creative. I felt the urge to decorate. We moved into our house October of 2006 and pretty heavily painted all available surfaces. All except the bathroom, our upstairs bedroom and our little hallway. The bathroom because I haven't been able to decide exactly what I want to keep in there, just ugly fixtures, our bedroom because we are exposed due to a stairway with no doorway (I like it that way), don't feel so closed in and our poor little hallway because I just didn't know what to do with it. So, this week I decided to do something different. I wanted to create an area of interest in our itty bitty house that was like "oh wow, that's interesting." So, I decided to do a faux finish, keep in mind, this is my first time working with a faux painting product. It's definitely not to everyones taste, but in our house, we just do things and aren't afraid of color as anyone who has been in our home can tell. Living room = army green, kitchen = burnt orange, my studio = cranberry, Stella's room = dark purple and now (drumroll) turquoise with an opalescent white glaze over top. It came out nice I think and Stella and I have decided to pretend to swim when we sit in our hallway now because it reminds us of an oasis. Also, I created the light fixture from an object I found at the Ann Arbor Reuse Center, spray painted it white and Matt geniously created a thing with cut and bent hangers that wrap around the existing light fixture flesh with the ceiling. GENUS!! Here are those pics. The next project was the light over our kitchen table. The previous light was purchased from Ikea and we just found it to not really filter light well and to be honest we'd just grown out of it. So, be unconventional as we are, we took a paint can and Matt cut into the bottom, bent back the rough edges and I poked holes into the can all over to filter the light. I then took it outside and spray painted it white. Voila, weekend "This Old House" complete! Here are those pics as well.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the color! I have been getting the bug to repaint & redecorate. Must be all the time at home :)

Unknown said...

Smart! I love recycling! I look forward to seeing your house someday!