Thursday, March 6, 2008

Had An Interview Today.

So, on a whim I saw something on Craig's List that I knew I was pretty much qualified for and thought what the heck, I'll email them. To my surprise, the position had not been filled yet, so I sent all my info and voila, I was asked for an interview. I wasn't really nervous at all, but driving to Ann Arbor at the end of the day of a very ECK week, I was practically drowsy by the time I go there. I tried to maintain good eye contact without looking like I had x-ray vision and tried to keep the conversation flowing. Basically the company is one of those home party sell ya stuff kind of places, but they need there catalogs redesigned in the proper program and generally refined. And, to boot, the woman wasn't at all concerned that I'd never created catalogs before. I simply told her that design is something that you either know or you don't, but creating something in a program is semantics. I think she agreed, now all I have to do is come up with a quote for completely recreating a 32 page catalog and making changes to a 60 page catalog. This should seem daunting, but at 1:22am it doesn't really seem that way. My problem is I don't want to overshoot my bid, but I don't want to get screwed in the process either. The woman kept hinting at me, well really telling me that they spend quite a bit to get these catalogs made, so basically if I do my research, I good get quite a pretty penny for this work. And, not to mention, eventually this could be an actual full time job. For some reason, I really think the woman really wanted me to have the job, that felt good. So, I created what we in the business call a "Leave Behind" special just for this company. Since they sell purses, jewelry and the like, I fashioned a resume/mini portfolio that looked like a purse, and she really seemed to like that too. Thanks to my scrapbooking skills, I pulled it off quite nicely, here have a look.

4 comments:

Jenn said...

Wow, what a GREAT idea to make them remember you! That is so clever.

I wouldn't even know how to begin building a bid proposal for such a project - so yes, that does seem daunting to me. (Then again I am not a designer either)

Regardless, I wish you the best of luck on this one - I truly hope you win the bid. Sending you all the positive vibes I can muster.

JoAnn V. (http://joboogie.typepad.com) said...

Wow, very cool little resume purse - way to work those scrapbooking skills and put them to good use, girlie! :)

Good luck! I know I'm late... did you get it?

CACTUSmango said...

that is one rocking resume purse! definitely positively memorable!

CACTUSmango said...

oh! and I see you used your LuvNotes paper! very nice touch!